Fjord Rally 2014 on Vespa

Viel Spaß !!
have fun

Moderator: shorty

JAF

Fjord Rally 2014 on Vespa

Tue 26. Feb 2013, 12:23

Hi friends,

I am from Navarra (Spain) and I m planning to ride to Fjord Rally next year, in 2014. My friend ELOI was already there and told me about this treffen and their great atmosphere 8-)

I was this year at Elefantentreffen but the weather was really warm :(

My bike is a Vespa 300 touring and it is a great bike to ride in winter 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thank you so much for your advices and recomendations

have a nice week

JAF
JAF
Vespa 300 GTS ie Touring 2012
Harley Rocker-C 2011

popi

Re: Fjord Rally 2014 on Vespa

Wed 27. Feb 2013, 09:28

Hi JAF,

welcome !!!

We are looking forward to meet you at the Fjordrally 8-)
Nichts auf der Welt ist so mächtig wie eine Idee, deren Zeit gekommen ist !
Folge keinen Spuren, hinterlasse welche ! :o

JAF

Wed 3. Jul 2013, 09:26

Hi there!

greetings from Pamplona (SPAIN)

The running of the bulls (sanfermines) in my town is comming in four days...but Fjordrally too!!!...hahahaha

I have some questions about the trip to Jostedal:

FERRY (Kiel-Oslo):
I will take the ferry from Kiel to Oslo, but I dont know if there is a meeting point to join and travel most of the riders from Kiel.

STUD TYRES
Prior to take the ferry, I have to change my snow standard tyres to snow STUD TYRES at somewhere in Kiel (do you know some tyre dealer/garage where I can do that? ...It will open on the weekend?)

TRIP TO JOSTEDAL
do you know where will you stay for to rest in between Oslo y Jostedal? (Gol?)

I appreciate any kind of advice!

Thank you so much for your help and see you in a few months!!
:D

JAF
JAF
Harley Rocker-C 2011

stromer

Tue 20. Aug 2013, 22:04

Hallo JAF!

Welcome!

Klick for this site: http://www.stresspress.de/

Ask for the Text: "Kleine Räder rollen schnell"

Translate him. It is the story of a Vespa- Driver; he rides in January for Kristall- Rally in Norway any years ago.

Greeting....

stromer

Wed 21. Aug 2013, 00:09

JAF

Wed 11. Sep 2013, 08:04

stromer wrote:Hallo JAF!

Welcome!

Klick for this site: http://www.stresspress.de/

Ask for the Text: "Kleine Räder rollen schnell"

Translate him. It is the story of a Vespa- Driver; he rides in January for Kristall- Rally in Norway any years ago.

Greeting....

Thank you Stromer!
I know some riders who went to Krystall in Piaggio (Vespa, etc.). I will go there after Fjord rally (the week after) ;-)
hope you meet in Jostedal
Best from Navarra!!
JAF
JAF
Harley Rocker-C 2011

JAF

Fri 10. Jan 2014, 09:35

Hi folks!

2014 is here...and Fjord rally is starting in less than one month :shock:

This is my road book planning...it sounds good?...I am a beginner...please give me any advice you see. I appreciate you in advance!!

Monday 27: Pamplona (SPAIN)-Poitiers (550km) starting at 1:00pm
Tusday 28: Poitiers-Stolberg (750km)
Wednesday 29: Stolberg-Puttgarden (625km)
Thursday 30: Puttgarden-Malmo (325km, plus a half-one-hour-Ferry)
Friday 31: Malmo-Goteborg (300km)
Saturday 1: Goteborg-Oslo (300km)
Sunday 2: Oslo-Gol (200km)
Monday 3: Gol-Sogndal (150km)
Tusday 4: Sogndal-Jostedal (50km) (hotel Jostedal Fjordrally)
Wednesday 5: Fjord rally
Thursday 6: Fjord rally
Friday 7: Jostedal-Gol-Oslo (350km)
Saturday 8: Oslo
Sunday 9: Oslo
Monday 10: Oslo-Lillehamer (190km)
martes 11: Lillehammer-Ringebu-Krystall (60km)
miercoles 12: Krystall
jueves 13: Krystall-Oslo (250km)
viernes 14: Oslo-Goteborg (300km)....etc

I dont know where swaping over my winter tyres to spike-tyres...maybe in Oslo, maybe in Gol, depending on the road conditions.
Any suggestions?

Thank you all of you and happy new year!!

JAF
JAF
Harley Rocker-C 2011

Jörg (HRO)

Fri 10. Jan 2014, 13:13

Hi,

"Thursday 30: Puttgarden-Malmo (325km, plus a half-one-hour-Ferry)"
The better, sheaper and shorter possibility is to use the ferry Helsingør-Helsingborg.
You may buy the ticket together with the Puttgarden-Rødby ticket (Scandlines "Vogelfluglinie").

"Friday 7: Jostedal-Gol-Oslo (350km)"
It's possible if you're really familiar with winter conditions but it's a hard piece of work and no fun.
Also yet a verry little incident will prevent you from reaching Oslo on that day.
(btw.: Jostedal - Oslol => 400km, not 350km)

What about tires? Even there is verry little snow until now in Norway (hopefully this will change until Fjordrally), you will need studded tires.
So you may have to changes your tires on the way or have to stud your tires in Norway. I could not find any time for that on your 'timetable'.

Greetings
Jörg.

Addendum:
Just now read your last sentence about your tires - you should change the tires in Oslo.
If you're planning to use the main roads (E16, E7), it should be possible to go to Gol on
'normal' tires, but it's preferable.
Es gibt 10 verschiedene Arten von Menschen. Diejenigen, die Binärcode verstehen und diejenigen, die das nicht tun.

Bündner

Sat 11. Jan 2014, 09:19

Hi JAF

I Think it's a really cool idea to come to fjordrally with a Vespa. I drive from switzerland to Kiel in my car and than take the ferry Kiel-Oslo - so I really have veneration for these guys from Italy or Spain, that drive all the way to jostedalen on two wheels!

BUT:

In my eyes you can forget your timetable an please make a new one with "reserve-time" for incidents and accidents or you will be very dissapointed. Your schedule CAN work, but it will be no fun and you take a very very high risk on you. I'm not one of the very hard winter drivers, so maybe my advice is not necessary, but I live in a country with cold days in winter an I've been to fjordrally several times - so I have an idea, what i'm talking about.

In addition to what Jörg wrote, some statements:
1) the day are very short up in north in January (do you now when daylight starts and ends? In darkness it's very dangerous on a bike, because no car or truck driver is aware of two-wheelers in January) maybe an other Fjordrallyforum-Member can ad exact times here.
2) It can be very warm in France, Germany and Norway (let's say 0 degree), but it can also be VERY cold (minus 35 in the morning). Your body has to produce heat: One hour driving is even hard on a bright day, but: If it's snowing an has fog you will be dead after one hour driving an will need a coffee stop for let's say half an hour. After the second hour km you will need an other stop. You'll really need these stopps - your driving will become very dangerous and risky if your body get's tired an stiff (and it's not driving on safe roads ... and it's not only risky for you, but also for other people on the roads) It might be colder in France an Germany than in Norway ...
3) it can be possible, that you need the studded tires in Germany allready, depending on weather ... than you need a garage (it's possilbe to change tires yourself, but beleve me: It's very very hard on 0 degrees an almost not possible with -30 degrees) -> count two hours for that. Or do you work with the screw-type-studds?
4) Your average driving velocity might be at on good weather 50 or 60 km/h, so count 3 hours for 100 km (inkl. the coldness-stopps from point 2) than you go to eat something in a restaurant, than an other 100 km and the day is over! With a lot of snow on the road your velocity can be very slow. If you only have "small" studds on your tires count an average of 5 km/h if there is really a lot of snow on the roads. If you have "big" studds your driving on asphalt will be dangerous (so maybe you'll have to change back. Even on a cold "blue sky day" more than 200 km in norway are possible, but no FUN.
5) Where do you sleep? In a tent or in a hotel/cabin? In both ways you need time to find such a place (maybe late in the afternoon in darkness and coldness).
6) Your bike might not start very well in the morning and you might only start 2 hours later, than you expected or any kind of rubber-hose or -belt brakes because of coldness or your clutch-lever is frozen in the morning etc etc
7) You drive alone, so if you need any help it takes first time to organize this. Driving alone also can safe time on the other hand.

I know, you want to drive on Vespa the hole way (the way is the goal). But just some ideas: there is a train, where you can load your Vespa from Basel to Hamburg, there is a ferry from Kiel to Oslo, a lot of (pussy) guys drive to Kiel in car and leave the car there to change to the bike to go on the ferry on Bike and wearing Motorcycle-clothes and look like very hard Winter-bikers
:-)

Not talking about Norway, but "Tusday 28: Poitiers-Stolberg (750km)"???? 750 km is even hard in a conditioned car, but almost unpossible on a vespa in Winter, even if the road is "black". When in the morning to you start, when fill your tank, when eat, when looking for a place to sleep????

So please start on saturday 25 and so you have a lot of save reserve time if there is any kind of unexpected incident.

Call me or other Fjordrally drivers if' you get in trouble somewhere an need some help. There might be a person near you. For example we ("Schwede" and me) take the ferry from Kiel to Oslo on thursday 30.01. (I'll start wednesday-evening in Switzerland by car) and so will reach Gol on bike on Friday-Evening 31.01. (Gol camping center). We'll not gooing to join the fjordrally in Jostedalen this year - only staying some days in Gol, driving around there and going back to the Ferry Gol-Kiel on Thursday 06.02.

My number is +41 (0)79 671 12 55

Hope to see you healthy in Gol sunday-evening 2 of february! There will be other Fjordrally-drivers then and also some beer :-)

Greetings

Patrick

Jörg (HRO)

Sat 11. Jan 2014, 15:38

Hi,

Patrick:
It's a Vespa 300 GTS - so 750km on black highways per day should not really be any problem
for an (iced) iron butt.

Greetings,
Jörg.
Es gibt 10 verschiedene Arten von Menschen. Diejenigen, die Binärcode verstehen und diejenigen, die das nicht tun.