Spike

Viel Spaß !!
have fun

Moderator: shorty

Shishi

Spike

Sat 4. Jan 2020, 21:59

Hello !

Because i didn't find anything in english, could someone share to me where it is possible to buy some spikes to put myself on tires , and which size / kind of metal could suit to me, for the same using than the Fjordrally but for more kilometers.

Sorry if it is the bad Topic section and if ever there is any link in english on the forum i didn't seen.

Thank you everybody ! :)

V

börni

Re: Spike

Sat 4. Jan 2020, 22:45

Hi you can look at
https://www.wolfram-shop.de/best-grip-p ... 0-stck.-32
I think for the first fjordrally you try 1500er spikes if your tire studs are big enough.

And you need to fix it on your tire
https://www.wolfram-shop.de/best-grip-e ... -spikes-16

Or this shop

http://www.butzner.de/spikes.html

The Spikes are from bestgrip

Which bike and wich tire do you use? I think 1500 is the maximum for you
Tortourguide
Lebe jeden Tag als wäre es der Letzte!
Sarkasmus ist die Fähigkeit Idioten zu beleidigen ohne das sie es merken.

Shishi

Mon 6. Jan 2020, 15:02

Hello ! :)

Sorry to answer only right now, didn't tough possible a so fast answer :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for sharing this to me. :D

I've been looking to the website of Best grip in France (my country).
I also seen a new model, the No. 1910-4. "Scandinavian Raid" use they say, but don't seems so different from the 1500.

The 1500 seems okay to me, but does everyone think they are good for a All conditions trip over Scandinavia ? Including maybe some parts of wet asphalt almost without ice. :?:

Because i don't only plan the Fjordrally actually and I already seen the story of two French guys going to North Cape with two 1200 BMW GS.
Due to bad councils from a seller they bought too big spikes for their trip.
Then, they got flat tire with the rear wheel all the time ( don't remember how many, maybe 10times ).
Even with a off-road rubber inside their tubeless tires, the problems was always same.
The spikes where just to long and didn't stopped to go "too much inside" :mrgreen:

My bikes is a Suzuki DR 650 RSE.
A big single cylinder with 21" front and 17" rear, about 200 kg full weight, 20 liter tank...
I gonna put some Heavy duty rubber inside by the way ( 4mm i think ) + a Gripster.

I don't know yet what tires to use.

First i will do the way from France with some Heidenau Winter ( "Sico2" ?) K60.
Then, when i get only snow and ice..... i don't know.

Michelin AC-10 for example could be okay if i have 10 cm snow all the time, but i know the grip of Enduro (no to confuse with "Trail") tires on the wet / rainy asphalt.... quite dramatic :P

Thanks again ! ;)

börni

Mon 6. Jan 2020, 20:16

Hi the bike is OK I started with DR800.
The Heidenau are OK for wet and cold conditions. The ac10 are bad because the tire luggeds broke often.
17" is difficult because you didn't found many tires.
I drove to my first fjordrally over many black roads and had no problems and drove 14 days in norway. If you plan a big tour you can use small spikes (1200) in the middle and bigger one on the outside(1500 or 1800). That's a good way to drive on black roads and also good on white ways.
Look at this tires the lugged are good for snow and ice and to put spikes on it.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shop ... x&usqp=CAc
Thats a tire from maxxis but I didn't use it
Tortourguide

Shishi

Mon 6. Jan 2020, 20:50

Must be difficulty funny with the DR in first gear, isn't it ? :P
Did you used a smaller sprocket for example, or the amount of torque on the starts was easy to manage on the ice ?

For the tires, i remember that the ac 10 was "good" in the opinion of the Forum and the home page technical pages.
So you council me to take a tire with "lugge" ( Real off road tires ) ,
and not something like a Continental TKC 80 ( family called "Trail" tires in France ) ?

Because without spikes the tires like the ac 10 seems really bad on wet black roads.
Last time was with a Michelin Enduro Competition, funny but not safe at all.

By the past also, i remember the K60 Winter was juged "bad" because the soft compound broke with the spikes, is it right ?

And about the spikes, why the 1200 if i do a long trip ?
1500 will be worst on the "black" or not sharp at all after many kilometers ?

Many thanks ! ;)

börni

Tue 7. Jan 2020, 19:14

The Dr was original you can't use many throotle to start but I had a lot of fun.

Many people who used the Ac10 had proplems with broken lugs and spikes.
Real offroad tires are the best way for snow and ice with spikes and the k60 are good on black roads.

The k60 is not good for spikes because the tire lugs are not high enough

If you use big spikes like 1800 it feels like everything is broken on black roads. And with smaller spikes it's better to drive. That's why I say in the middle small spikes 1200 and on the outside bigger spikes.
Tortourguide

Shishi

Tue 7. Jan 2020, 22:00

Yes, for the big spikes that's what i read often. This feeling to ride on a billion of little steel balls on the road.
Then i gonna do like this, different spikes size.

I gonna give a look this week about the maxxiss you recommend to me. Also in Mitas catalog because i remember about something good.
When you did almost two weeks of black roads with spikes, as you said, which kind of tire did you use ? Offroad with big lugs ?

Many thanks :mrgreen:

börni

Wed 8. Jan 2020, 09:58

I used old Mefo stonemaster the new mefos have problems with broken lugs. That's why we use mitas but I think mitas have non17".
Tortourguide

Jörg (HRO)

Wed 8. Jan 2020, 16:46

17'' Mitas => Mitas C02 130/80 - 17
Es gibt 10 verschiedene Arten von Menschen. Diejenigen, die Binärcode verstehen und diejenigen, die das nicht tun.

kolja

Wed 8. Jan 2020, 20:53

Best Grip 1.500 from my point of view are the best compromise between having fun on snow and ice AND having to drive on black tarmac. I wouldn't go lower than 1.500 if the tires allow the 1.500 to be screwed in properly. Bigger (1.800) is possible, but not recommendable if black tarmac's to be expected (and this year it looks like black tarmac can't be avoided as the temps all over scandinavia seem springwise).

On tarmac use your throttle and brakes gently. Otherwise the torque will push the spike hardy which can bend them and/or the tire-studs hardly. Gentle accelarations on tarmac and gentle speeds (max 50/60 km/h) do your spikes a big favour. Once you hit ice and snow, let it fly (for snow you need studs respectively high, open profile-blocks).